Leica has announced immediate availability of the Leica TL2 mirrorless interchangeable, with a local RRP of $2750.
The TL2 is a 24-megapixel APS-C format camera based on the existing T-series mirrorless interchangeables.
It offers 20 fps shooting with an electronic shutter, UHD 4K video at 30 fps (Full HD at 60 fps). The electronic shutter has speeds up to 1/40,000 sec. The mechanical shutter delivers 7 fps and a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 second. The contrast-detect AF system has 49 focus points ‘and vastly improved speed’. Leica claims the TL2 can focus in just 165 milliseconds.
The body is machined from a single block of aluminium. Now with ‘newly curving chamfered edges for an even sleeker design.’
It has a 3.7-inch LCD touchscreen – which delivers an impressive 50 percent more viewing area than the currently standard 3-inch screens. Apparently this is fast too, with Leica claiming 8 times faster response than the previous model.
The only other controls are ‘four ergonomically positioned haptic control elements’ (aka vibrating buttons.)
Integrated IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi allows connection to iOS and Android devices for sharing photos and movies to smartphones or tablets for posting online. A free app facilitates sharing imagery and remote control of shutter speed, aperture, and for releasing the shutter. It can also be used as a remote electronic viewfinder.
The MyCamera menu allows the photographer to customise the display by long-touching and dragging specific camera settings into place to suit their own shooting needs.
– Start-up time has been improved to 600ms;
– Internal 32GB of memory lets you shoot without an SD card. There is also a UHS-II SD memory card slot;
– Leica L lens mount is directly compatible with TL and SL-series lenses, including those with OIS, and Leica M- and R-mount lenses via optional lens mount adapters;
– Top hot shoe can be used in conjunction with an optional external flash or can also be used with the optional Visoflex external electronic viewfinder for eye-level monitoring.
– An FN button can be programmed to perform select functions.
– A DNG only shooting mode is offered.
– A USB Type-C port for fast data transfer as well as USB charging;
– Included BP-DC13 lithium-ion battery offers approximately 250 shots per charge.
The TL2 has no electronic viewfinder nor a pop-up flash.
The TL system currently comprises six lenses – three prime lenses and three zooms: Leica Summicron-TL 23 mm f/2 ASPH; Summilux-TL 35 mm f/1.4 ASPH; APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60 mm f/2.8 ASPH; Leica Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11–23 mm f/3.5–4.5 ASPH; Vario-Elmar-TL 18–56 mm f/3.5–5.6 ASPH; and APO-Vario-Elmar-TL 55–135 mm f/3.5–4.5 ASPH.
Body only RRP is $2750, with the TL2 available from today in both silver and black versions.
Official press release including specs: Leica TL2_July 2017